In October, 2008 the memberships and boards of directors of South Charlotte Soccer Association and Charlotte Soccer Club voted overwhelmingly in favor to consolidate the two clubs. The new organization will be named Charlotte Soccer Academy. At the Annual General Meeting of the North Carolina Youth Soccer Association ("NCYSA") held in Greensboro, North Carolina, on January 25, 2009, the NCYSA Board of Directors voted to approve the consolidation allowing the clubs to move forward with planning for upcoming tryouts in May. The new club is a qualified 501(c)3 non profit.
Both clubs have similar customer bases, unassailable reputations for success on and off the field, and a long history of providing their membership with quality soccer curriculums. The consolidation of these two clubs will provide players access to a pool of the region’s top soccer instructors, and allows the new club to leverage its buying power to keep player fees at competitive rates. Charlotte Soccer Academy will feature all levels of play including recreation, U9-U10 academy, Challenge, Classic, Premier, Region III, the U16 & U18 US Soccer Development Academy and access to The Elite Clubs National League for Girls.
John Koslick of SCSA will serve as president and Steve Gardner of CSC will serve as vice president of the new organization along with other members of the clubs’ boards. Charlotte Soccer Academy will feature Brad Wylde as the executive director, an experienced core of directors of coaching, along with a host of respected soccer team coaches - many who have coached at the college and high school level in addition to the North Carolina ODP teams.
Charlotte Soccer Academy will combine a foundation of competitive teams from SCSA (85) and CSC (30) making it one of the largest soccer clubs in the country. There are also plans to expand the recreational and U10 Academy programs as well. The merger of the two complimentary organizations will serve over 1,500 club families and over 1,000 recreation players from affiliated organizations.
The mission of Charlotte Soccer Academy includes a five-pronged philosophy:
- An integrated soccer experience – Access to all levels of play.
- Quality coaching and instruction – State-of-the-art curriculums for our players.
- Reasonable fees – Leverage buying power, sponsorships and size to provide the best value for our members
- Investment in player development at all levels – Charlotte Soccer Academy’s objective is for each player to have a balanced and fulfilling experience regardless of the level of play.
- A family oriented environment – Players and staff will make friendships that will last a lifetime.